What is an Au Pair?
An Au Pair is a ‘big sister’ who lives in Luxembourg as an extended member of their Host Family.
These young women provide child care services in exchange for room, board, monthly pocket money, and contributions towards a language course. Most Au Pairs participate in the Au Pair Program for the valuable cultural experience of living with a host family and are treated more as a member of the family than as an employee.
Au Pair Requirements
- You must be 18-30 years old.
- Have Grade 12 or equivalent.
- Have very good childcare experience (preferably have au paired abroad before or
teaching full time). Luxembourg is a small country, so you need to stand out as
an Au Pair candidate
- Understand and speak English on a basic level.
- Have a love for kids & be caring.
- Agree to commit for one full year.
- Be in good health. Only non-smokers are accepted.
- Driver’s license is not required, but highly preferred. Non drivers take much
longer to get placement & may have issues with replacement should a re-match
- South African / Namibian citizenship.
- Unmarried & no kids of your own.
- No criminal record.
We are looking for open-minded, flexible, mature Au Pairs who have a positive attitude and like caring for children. Other experiences like First Aid training, music, dance, sports, arts & crafts, local Au Pairing or experience working at a pre-school are examples of skills that would contribute to your childcare abilities and will strengthen your application.
Highlights of the luxembourg Au Pair program
Commitment to Quality, Personal Service and Support
Carla’s Au Pairs makes a commitment to providing top quality personal service and support the entire time host families and au pairs are participating in the program. Participants receive personal attention and continuous support. You are cared for & helped every step of the way.
The staff in Luxembourg is carefully trained with a focus on ensuring that host families and au pairs have the best experience possible.
After-care is very important. Remember, you get what you pay for – quality service and exceptional support while abroad – something that makes Carla’s Au Pairs truly stand out above other agencies! Just ask our Au Pairs and they’ll agree!
Professional and Caring Staff
The staff in Luxembourg is there for you if you have any questions or concerns. They have an emergency number available and will assist you in any questions related to your Au Pair year in Luxembourg.
The staff of Carla’s Au Pairs is also always accessible to you if you need anything. That is what makes us stand out – we believe in the personal approach & treating our Au pairs as individuals, each with their own special personality & needs. We make it our priority to stay in contact with you during your au pair year.
Basic Medical Insurance Included!
How the application process will work
- After you’ve filled in all the forms and have all your documents ready, you send your documents to us. The signup fee is then due.
- We will then process your documents and send it to our partner in Luxembourg. The profile fee is then due.
- Once your file is in Luxembourg, you will be contacted by families who wish to match with you. You will have telephonic or Skype interviews and can decide which family you’d like to go to. It can take a few months to match. Please be patient.
- Once you’ve matched with your host-family we will help you with your visa & residence permit arrangements. The placement fee is then due. Be patient as the visa can take some time.
- You will then arrange your flights and you’re off to your Au Pair adventure in Luxembourg!
If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Au Pair responsibilities
- Take the kids to school, play dates and pick them up afterwards.
- Prepare meals for the kids.
- Help kids with homework.
- Help prepare the kids for the day’s activities.
- Assist with general child-related chores, such as doing laundry for the family, ironing, grocery shopping, tidying the children’s bedrooms and vacuuming parts of the house.
- Work for a maximum of 25 hours a week.
- Application deadline: At least 2-6 months in advance as the visa can
take a while!
What is included in the Au Pair program?
- Basic Social & Health Insurance.
- Contact details of fellow au pairs in your area.
- Furnished bedroom in host family’s home.
- Support from agency right through your year.
- A minimum wage of 417.95 – 428 Euro per month.
- Study allowance to do a language course. (Usually German or French) This will
take 2 – 6 hours of your time during the week.
- You will have three (3) nights off in addition to a full day of rest per week and 2
- Accommodation and meals with the family for the entire year’s stay.
- Visa assistance.
- A very special Carla’s Au Pairs Pre-departure pack which includes useful & cool
goodies such as a Pre-departure Manual (written by our experienced staff with the help of ex-Au Pairs), travel bag, travel document pouch, travel mirror, travel pillow, travel make-up bag, luggage tag & more!