Nanny in Canada
What is a Nanny?
A Nanny is a professional childcare provider who lives in Canada as an extended member of their host Family. A nanny has professional qualifications and experience or has au paired full time in another country (such as USA) for at least a year.
These young women provide child care services in exchange for room, board, a monthly stipend, and other benefits.
Most Nannies participate in the Nanny Program for the valuable cultural experience of living with a Canadian family and are treated more as a member of the family than as an employee.
Bear in mind that Canada is NOT an au pair program. You go over on a proper work permit and it is less structured than the au pair program. You need to have a lot of maturity & independence if you want to go there and you need to realise that mostly you will do things on your own.
Also, placements are generally in small towns and rural areas as this is where families live that need childcare. You need to be open to this.
Canada is a North American country consisting of ten provinces and three territories. Located in the northern part of the continent, it extends from the Atlantic Ocean in the east to the Pacific Ocean in the west, and northward into the Arctic Ocean. Spanning over 9.9 million square kilometers, Canada is the world’s second-largest country by total area, and its common border with the United States is the longest land border in the world. Canada’s two official languages are Canadian English and Canadian French.
- You must be 18-30 years old
- Have a driver’s licence
- Have Grade 12 or equivalent
- Have professional childcare qualifications & experience OR has au paired full time in America before. Other countries such as Holland, Belgium etc. does not count as it is never full time & will not be accepted by the Canadian authorities for work permit approval
- Understand and speak English and/or French
- Have a love for kids & be caring
- Agree to commit for at least one full year to three years
- Be in good health. Only non-smokers are accepted
- South African citizenship
- Unmarried & no kids of your own
- No criminal record
We are looking for open-minded, flexible, mature nannies that have a positive attitude and like caring for children.
- Take the kids to school, play dates and pick them up afterwards
- Prepare meals for the kids
- Help kids with homework
- Help prepare the kids for the day’s activities
- Assist with general child-related chores, such as laundry, tidying the children’s bedrooms and play areas
- Work for a maximum of 40-44 hours a week
What is INCLUDED in the Nanny Program:
- Work permit assistance
- Free return flights! *when completing at least 12months
- Furnished bedroom in host family’s home
- Basic Medical Insurance
- A minimum wage of $1,690- $1,860 per month
- Stay for 1-3 years with the option of permanent residence
- 2 weeks paid vacation during your year
- Accommodation and meals with the family for the entire years stay
How the application process will work:
- Seeing as this is an independent & work permit assistance program, you need to search for your own host family. You can contact us if you are not sure about how to do this
- Once you’ve matched with your host-family you need to let us know. We will put them in contact with the right people in Canada to get the work permit process started. The work permit assistance fee is then due. We will then assist you with applying for your work permit. This can take from 7 months to a year sometimes, so a lot of patience is needed
- Your flights will be arranged and you’re off to your new nanny adventure in Canada!
If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us. Also, please enquire about the program costs involved.