There’s just something magical about Belgium! Maybe it’s the friendly people. Maybe it’s the stunning architecture decorating the quaint cobblestone streets. Or perhaps it’s the incredible European/Belgian cuisine found in the vast array of restaurants where each meal seems better than the last. Think yummy chocolate and beer!
What is an Au Pair?
An Au Pair is a ‘big sister’ who lives in Belgium as an extended member of their Host Family.
These young women provide child care services in exchange for room, board, monthly pocket money, and contributions towards a language course. Most Au Pairs participate in the Au Pair Program for the valuable cultural experience of living with a Belgian family and are treated more as a member of the family than as an employee.
Au Pair Requirements
- You must be 18-25 years old.
- Have Grade 12 or equivalent.
- Have very good childcare experience (preferably have Au Paired abroad before or
teaching full time).
- Understand and speak English and Afrikaans on a basic level.
- Have a love for kids & be caring.
- Agree to commit for one full year.
- Be in good health. Only non-smokers are accepted.
- Driver’s license is not required, but highly preferred. Non-drivers take much longer to get placement.
- South African citizenship.
- Unmarried & no kids of your own.
- No criminal record.
We are looking for open-minded, flexible, mature Au Pairs who have a positive attitude and like caring for children. Other experiences like First Aid training, music, dance, sports, arts & crafts, local Au Pairing or experience working at a pre-school are examples of skills that would contribute to your childcare abilities and will strengthen your application.
Highlights of the Belgium Au Pair program
Commitment to Quality, Personal Service and Support
Carla’s Au Pairs makes a commitment to providing top quality personal service and support the entire time host families and Au Pairs are participating in the program. Participants receive personal attention and continuous support. You are cared for & helped every step of the way.
The staff in Belgium is carefully trained with a focus on ensuring that host families and Au Pairs have the best experience possible.
Aftercare is very important. Remember, you get what you pay for – quality service and exceptional support while abroad – something that makes Carla’s Au Pairs truly stand out above other agencies! Just ask our Au Pairs and they’ll agree!
Professional and Caring Staff
The staff in Belgium is there for you if you have any questions or concerns. They have an emergency number available and will assist you in any questions related to your Au Pair year in Belgium.
The staff of Carla’s Au Pairs is also always accessible to you if you need anything. That is what makes us stand out – we believe in the personal approach & treating our Au pairs as individuals, each with their own special personality & needs. We make it our priority to stay in contact with you during your Au Pair year.
Costs of flights are covered by the host family.
Basic Medical Insurance Included.
How the application process will work
- After you’ve filled in all the forms and have all your documents ready, you send your documents to us. The sign-up fee is then due.
- We will then process your documents and send it to our Belgian partner. The profile fee is then due.
- Once your file is in Belgium, you will be contacted by families who wish to match with you. You will have telephonic or Skype interviews and can decide which family you’d like to go to. It can take a few months to match. You may also have a Skype interview with the Belgian agency first in order to get to know you and your needs & personality.
- Once you’ve matched with your host-family we will help you with your work permit & visa arrangements. The placement fee is then due.
- We will then arrange your flights and you’re off to your Au Pair adventure in Belgium!
If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us. Also, please enquire about the program costs involved.
Au Pair responsibilities
- Take the kids to school, play dates and pick them up afterwards.
- Prepare meals for the kids.
- Help kids with homework.
- Help prepare the kids for the day’s activities.
- Assist with general child-related chores, such as doing laundry for the family, grocery shopping, tidying the children’s bedrooms and vacuuming parts of the house.
- Work for a maximum of 30-40 hours a week.
What is included in the Au Pair program?
- FREE flights.
- Basic Medical Insurance.
- Contact details of fellow Au Pairs in your area.
- Furnished bedroom in host family’s home.
- Support from agency right through your year.
- A minimum wage of 450 Euro per month (can be more if you are very well experienced).
- Study allowance to do a Flemish language course.
- 2 Weeks paid vacation during your year.
- Accommodation and meals with the family for the entire year’s stay.
- Paid work permit by the host family.
- Visa assistance.
- A very special Carla’s Au Pairs Pre-departure pack which includes useful & cool goodies such as a
Pre-departure Manual (written by our experienced staff with the help of ex-Au Pairs), travel bag, travel document pouch, travel mirror, travel pillow, travel make-up bag, luggage tag & more!